Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Killing Me Softly

Have you ever tried killing your family? Well, it's not been on my mind but I just about made it a reality this week. Last year, I canned carrots with my parents. It was a fun experience. See the beautiful carrots below:

Well, I pulled out one of the above jars of carrots to use for dinner this week. I was highly disappointed. The color had gone from my beautiful jar of carrots. grrr. Did I need some preservative to help the color?? So disappointing.
 Then I opened it. You know when you open a sealed jar how it "pops"? Well this one "ping-ed". That didn't sound right. Next red flag: the carrots on top were GRAY! Should I have put more water in there during canning?
As I was about to pour the carrots into the dish I was making (chicken long rice to be exact), I decided to go get another jar of carrots just to check if another jar would look the same.

Can you see the difference? One of these jars in not right on the inside!
The smell was stark between the 2 as well. The nice orange ones smelled deliciously like carrots should. The gray variety smelled like...chalk dust. Can you say "Botchulism"?

The chicken long rice was excellent, and there was no fun trip to the hospital for an after dinner party.

3 comments:

John and Laura said...

Yikes! I've always been pretty freaked out about this kind of thing because of that old family story about the canned ... beets?

Your carrots (at least the ones on the right) look beautiful!

Evan said...

Oooh! I think you're supposed to rub those into your forehead.

Well, maybe not YOUR forehead because I'm sure you don't need it. Forty isn't old. Well, not VERY old. Besides, those are smile lines, not wrinkles, right? Hmm, maybe a few more carrots under your eyes wouldn't hurt.

Jenny said...

Evan, do you mean the toxic ones? Would that be like a home botox treatment? Hmmm. People may flock to that! Who would like to be my trial group?

Oh, and you need it more than me cux you are so much older than me!!!

Laura, I know what you mean. I'm freaked out! I love canning but I'm very leery of tainted food. I guess I'll just have to trust my eyes, ears, and nose when it comes to these things. :)