Thursday, June 5, 2008

The Bird's Nest

Have you ever wondered if Native American legends really are true? Stop me if you've heard this one. If a coyote crosses your path and looks back at you, return home immediately; danger is eminent. Great Grandma Leman and Grandma Pooley (Brian's Navajo grandmas) wouldn't question its validity. How about this one? If your child is having trouble peeing her pants (when she's almost 5 and shouldn't be having problems), find a bird's nest and burn it and then have the child stand over the smoke in her birthday suit and let the smoke rise on up. Well, we were at our wits end with trying ways to get Krispy Kreme to stop wetting every outfit she wore multiple times daily. Our tactics ranged from incentives, to bribery, to shame, to ridicule, to crying, to ignoring it all together. We were ready for anything.


As it turned out, we had a bird's nest in our front yard that was void of eggs. We snagged it. The last formal thing we did at our old house was hold a nest burning ceremony in the fire pit in the backyard. After much encouragement and talking to the pee-prone subject, she consented and we proceeded with the ritual.
The results? She has NOT had even one accident since that day AND she's been dry even at night (vs. wearing pullups every night since graduating from diapers)! We are sold on Native Folklore! I am sure that the power of the mind has more to do with this than anything, but who cares? I'm not questioning this obvious blessing. Kristen is so proud of what the nest has done for her constitution and Mom couldn't be happier.

2 comments:

John and Laura said...

I'm convinced! And I'm glad I'm not the only one who's resorted to all your fabulous tactics! Lucille tells me often how sometimes I cry when she has an accident. Yeah. Done that. What a great story! And thanks for blogging!

Kay said...

I couldn't be more proud of you for your blogging efforts! I've enjoyed reading. The nest things is a new one on me. But hey, if it works, great!