Well, I've done it. I've sent my last child off to Kindergarten. I have always looked forward to the first day of school for each of my kids. Most moms say they have cried. I have actually thrown a party-for-one each time. However, my experience with this one has been completely different. Krispy Kreme is pretty independent and she has been in a daycare/preschool setting for a couple of years. I wasn't worried about her transition. I saw a few kids crying uncontrollably that morning. I knew Kristen would be strong and happy to go on this new adventure. However, I did not account for my reaction.For reasons unknown, Annie did not have a teacher assigned to her until that morning. I had to take my trembling 5th grader to meet her teacher. So I quickly "dumped" Krispy off at the Kindergarten playground promising I would be back shortly. Well, confusion of the first day of school should have been my first clue that the trip back would not be quick. We located Annie's 5th grade teacher, made the proper introductions and I left to run back to Krispy.
I came back to find the playground empty with classes filing into the building. I thought I was too late. As luck would have it, Krispy's class was just rounding the mass of parents bidding adieu to their fearful kiddos. I caught sight of Krispy's, her eyes full of trepidation. I called her name and gave her a hug and my last words of encouragement, thus strengthening her fortitude. Enter the waterworks, stage right. What a sight I was. I was reserved, but where was the party animal from years past? Gone. Gone with the realization that this was my LAST first day of Kindergarten. Sigh.
I picked the girls up from school to walk home with them to help them get used to the path they would take, since this was a new school and new neighborhood. I got to hear of the fun day they had. Boy it was hot. I'm glad I don't have to do that everyday. Poor kids. We've since taken pity on them for the heated months. Brian drops them off and his brother, Steve, picks them up.
This reminds me of Annie's first day of school. I dropped her off, partied and then waited for the bus to bring her home. No such luck. She didn't return home at the designated time and my panic went into full throttle mode. We found her (obviously). Her teacher put her on the wrong bus and she wasn't discovered until the bus driver was done with her route and Annie had not gotten off. She's never forgotten that. You know, one of those scarring memories that gets worse each time it's told.
1 comment:
I am sure Annie will need some Hobo therapy at some point. Maybe you and Annie could go into Hobo therapy together - Mother/daughter tuna/pickle free association, hold the onion, add mayo, say cheese, but not hard boiled eggs. And think outside the box, but not at Taco Bell.
Okay, it is late at night and this is too silly. Glad you survived your last first day. There will be more and this too shall pass.
XOXOXO
Post a Comment