Friday, August 15, 2008

Yazmo Bags

I have taken on an new venture. I am making/designing bags of assorted shapes and sizes. I have made a few bags including scripture covers for my family. The thought originally came to me when I had a pair of green wranglers that I couldn't bear to part with, although I had not been that size since high school. I decided to keep the pants around for awhile longer and made a purse out of them. It was just the right size with plenty of pockets. The purse drew attention which spawned another idea. Why not make bags out of old jeans to sell? The material is cheap, either acquired from my family's personal stash or from thrift stores. BAM! A product. Now all I needed to find is the time. Well, that's still evasive and expensive, but I am gathering all the time I can. :)

Well, I have made several attempts at bags and I think I have finally arrived at a style that is my favorite. I have included pictures to show some of them.

These are the scripture cases I have made.
This one is 10 years old and has been through seminary. How's that for holding up? (It is weather worn, no doubt.)
This is a scripture bag that I used as a purse for awhile as well.
These are the recent purses that I've made.

Here is my favorite that I just finished. I gave it to my sis-in-law for her birthday. I almost decided against giving it away 'cuz I loved it so much, but I can make another.

I have plans to market my bags via the internet. For now, however, I will be giving Big Z's friends, that are girls, some sample bags to spread the word and send prospective buyers my way. We'll see how that works.

3 comments:

Kay said...

I love that last one! Way cool. Dang.. my birthday just passed.. :)

Aussie Sue said...

Jenny, I love the last one too!!! So cute - I might try it myself.... when I have some time... BTW, how are you?

Kathleen said...

Jenny,
I love your bags, they are too cute! You're so talented!